Money Talk is back after a summer hiatus. Here’s what that’s about.
What to read right now…
It’s been months but it seems that UK watchdogs are finally doing something about the “greedflation” we’re currently experiencing.
Telecoms – that’s mobile and broadband – are among the culprits.
This is a fun one: the inflationary power of stardom.
The deal that’s a steal…
Tis the season for summer sales. Not all discounts are made equal though, so do make sure you shop around.
Meanwhile, here are a few places where the discount has already hit 50% off (and that I shop from).
- Great lipsticks from Illamasqua* – up to 70% off
- A bit of everything from John Lewis* – up to 60% off
- Small kitchen appliances from Robert Dyas* – up to 60% off
- Outdoor gear from Blacks* – up to 50% off
- Hoodies (and coats!) from Tog24* – up to 50% off
- Dresses and tops from Phase Eight* – up to 50% off
- Underwear and socks from M&S* – up to 50% off
And an actual freebie…
The London Mint Office is giving away free commemorative coins* celebrating the coronation of King Charls III.
You have to pay £2.50 postage so not completely free, as it were.
But it is legal tender, to the value of half a crown, which makes it rather hard to spend.
On the other hand, just 500,000 have been produced so there’s a chance it could go up in value.
If you only do one thing…
Review your savings, again.
Last week the Bank of England put up the Bank Rate to 5% – the highest it’s been since the heady days of 2008 – and lots of high street and online banks have followed suit.
The amount they’ve put their rates up by has varied though, which is why it’s worth a review if you haven’t already.
I’ve picked out some of my favourites here, but it doesn’t mean there aren’t better rates around.